Logo

The Circle of Hashibahbah

The MisCon Writer's Workshop Forums
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How do you see them?
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:47 pm 
GOD

Salmonella started a wonderful thread on another forum, asking questions about your characters that you have to answer as sort of an analysis of them. I am really enjoying filling them out... but I also would dearly love to hear what other people think about these characters. How do they seem from what I've written of them, what you've read already? What sort of impressions do they give? Here are the questions she came up with. Oh I've had such fun writing answers to these, but I know things about them that the readers don't. It would be more than fun, it would actually be useful and helpful to me to know how the characters come across to others.

1. What would he/she kill for? What would they die for?
2. What would they refuse to do under any circumstances? Why?
3. What do they dream about? [Either literal or figurative].
4. What’s their biggest fear?
5. What single object would they be most hard pressed to part with? Why?
6. What is their fondest memory?
7. What is their worst memory?
8. What or who was were their most significant influence? Expound.
9. What do they believe makes a successful life?
10. What makes them laugh?
11. What are their religious views?
12. What is their greatest strength?
13. Do they have a fatal flaw? If so, what is it?
14. Who is the most important person in their life?
15. If they died or went missing, who would miss them most?
16. How would they describe themselves?
17. How would others describe them?

I've already filled out one of these each for my six main characters ... but I'd love to know what others think before I reveal what I know of them.

It's not really spoilers... just insight into the personalities. And your insights into them would fascinate me greatly. Please make feedback.Tell me what you think of Morgan, Paige, Brand, Jasper, Galen, Laric... or any extras that you'd like to talk about.

Xander, don't speak Latin in front of the books. ~Rupert Giles~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How do you see them?
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:51 pm 
Pink

Paige

1. What would he/she kill for? Morgan! What would they die for? Morgan!
2. What would they refuse to do under any circumstances? Why? Leave Morgan's side, because she loves him.
3. What do they dream about? How her life was before everything got screwed up apples trees and picnics.
4. What’s their biggest fear? Losing Morgan and not being able to go home.
5. What single object would they be most hard pressed to part with? Why? Her pocket treasures rocks flowers various thing she has collected from her small adventures.
6. What is their fondest memory? Sitting in a tree and having morgan threaten to climb up after her!
7. What is their worst memory? losing Morgan, or getting him back broken
8. What or who was were their most significant influence? Expound. Laric, but why is a spoiler!
9. What do they believe makes a successful life? Being able to hold her own and protect her family.
10. What makes them laugh? Morgan
11. What are their religious views? Standard
12. What is their greatest strength? She will fight when she needs to and does a pretty good job at it.
13. Do they have a fatal flaw? If so, what is it? impulsive
14. Who is the most important person in their life? Morgan
15. If they died or went missing, who would miss them most? Morgan, Brand 16. How would they describe themselves? Tomboy
17. How would others describe them? Tomboy, impulsive

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:53 pm 
Well im going to give this a go on Morgan. I know theres a set number of questions, but im just gonna write without going 1,2,3 ect ect..If thats ok with everyone :mrgreen:

Morgan to me is a very loyal man, who takes his responcibilities as the shield very seriously. He had studied hard to become the man and defender that everyone expects him to be. To let people down in his duties to them is one i feel would pain Morgan the most. He would willingly die for those he loved and closest to his heart. Im not sure about for his country, but i suspect he would, but only if absolutly needed and everything else failed. Morgans greatest love in life is his books, he lives to learn all he can and if there was ever a time where he had absorbed all there is to know, i feel he will have lost a personal purpose in life. Morgan believes that knowledge is power and he shows that he has the wisdom to use all knowledge with great care and respect. Morgan's other love is his family and those he calls friends, they make him laugh and give him another life and focus other then being the shield. They ground him and i believe that when he was captured by Laric, he let them down the most. They are the ones that would be at Morgans back in a fight, they would die for him because he means more then just being the shield. Paige especially would be a broken woman if ever anything happened to him. All in all Morgan is an extremely caring and intelligent man, who knows his purpose in life and will go to the ends of the earth to see that purpose carried out. To be helpless before Laric is his worst nightmare, no matter all of his training, all of his knowledge, he was still captured and that brings shame to him. But i know that by the end, he will have redeemed himself ten fold.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:06 pm 
GOD

I've now done up one of these for Kemen, but posting my answers on the forum is so... self-defeating. I wanna know what all y'alls think, not what I think. Wow, some of these questions took me much longer to answer than I expected. I guess that's what happens with a less-clearly-defined character. Which is what makes this exercise so much fun and so useful to a writer.

Well, I suppose I could post them, but really small like a spoiler so you can choose not to read 'em if ya want. Okay, I'll do that. Here goes:

Kemen

1. What would he kill for? What would he die for? Kemen would gladly kill AND die for Laric or Opari. He would kill for Erris easily, but would only die for him if he absolutely had to.

2. What would he refuse to do under any circumstances? Why? Quit. To quit means he's not good enough, and to not be good enough is one thing he can't stand.

3. What does he dream about? [Either literal or figurative]. Kemen dreams about (or should I say 'longs for?') his father's approval.

4. What’s his biggest fear? Failure.

5. What single object would he be most hard pressed to part with? Why? Opari's gold ring, which he found during the search for her. He'll part with it only to give it back to her. But... he'd miss it if he did, even though returning it would be a major badge of success for him. The thing has become a sort of companion for him as well as being a talisman symbolizing his mission to rescue Opari.

6. What is his fondest memory? The day he was accepted into the Eraso training program.

7. What is his worst memory? Being reminded, again and again, that he was responsible for his mother's death, that he failed to save her.

8. What or who was/were his most significant influence? Expound. Kemen's father instilled a very strong sense of unworthiness in him, which translates in this case to a blind obedience to anyone in authority. This makes him a compliant soldier/scout even though he's trained to use initiative as part of his job.

9. What does he believe makes a successful life? Living up to the expectations of others.

10. What makes him laugh? Outwitting an opponent. Kemen can be very competitive.

11. What are his religious views? Standard Erlayan.

12. What is his greatest strength? His courage.

13. Does he have a fatal flaw? If so, what is it? Well his courage and loyalty damn near got him killed... that mighta been fatal. He certainly IS willing to be cannon fodder if need be. He just tries to make need not be.

14. Who is the most important person in his life? Well of course that sort of thing can change over time. At the moment, I'd have to say Opari.

15. If he died or went missing, who would miss him most? Pretty much no one. Maybe his commanding officer would be annoyed that he'd have to find another Eraso, but that's about it.

16. How would he describe himself? Dedicated and singleminded.

17. How would others describe him? Stubborn and brave.

.... and there you have it. Or don't have it, depending on whether you want to have it or not. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:45 pm 
Odin Extraordinaire

Oh yeah, I remember this thread. I looked at it before I knew the characters very well, so I didn't fill any out and abruptly forgot about it.

I think I shall do Jasper first, since he is my favorite character.

1. What would he kill for? What would he die for? He would kill to protect his family and friends, and to bring about the fall of Laric. He would probably die for those things as well.
2. What would he refuse to do under any circumstances? Why? He would never betray his family and friends.
3. What does he dream about? [Either literal or figurative] He dreams about making it back to his beloved ship and listening to the waves as he lulls to sleep. He also dreams (figurativly) of restoring Morgan as the Sheild and destroying Laric and his empire.
4. What’s his biggest fear? He probably fears that those he cares about will be hurt. Even though he knows his plan is nearly fool proof, he still fears that he may fail.
5. What single object would he be most hard pressed to part with? Why? I have no clue what possession he would be even hesitant to part with. He would probably throw it away in an instant if it would help him accomplish his mission. (Unless the Grey Lady counts.)
6. What is his fondest memory? His most cherished memories are of his childhood with Morgan and co.
7. What is his worst memory? I imagine his worst memory would be just how horrible Morgan looked when he first found him.
8. What or who was were his most significant influence? Expound. Both Morgan and Laric have played a huge role in shaping him as a person. Morgan shaped his fun-loving and loyal nature. Laric has pushed him (indirectly) and helped to shape Jasper's more ruthless side.
9. What does he believe makes a successful life? A good ship beneath your feet and wind creaking in the sails is a perfectly succesful life.
10. What makes him laugh? A good joke will always make him laugh, along with awkward situations and poking fun at others (mainly Brand)
11. What are his religious views? I am not really sure if Jasper is truely devout in his religion, or just skeptical of landers' beliefs.
12. What is his greatest strength? His loyalty is definatly his best attribute.
13. Does he have a fatal flaw? If so, what is it? ... this one goes without even saying.
14. Who is the most important person in his life? Morgan might not be the most loved person in his life, but he is the most important.
15. If he died or went missing, who would miss him most? If Jasper died, Paige would miss him terribly, even if she wouldn't admit it right now. Morgan might miss him (now that he is out of his stupor).
16. How would he describe himself? Skillful, charming, sneaky, loyal, deadly... I could break out a thesaurus on this one.
17. How would others describe him? Funny, stubborn, frustrating, loyal, bumbling, pyromaniac... the list goes on.

I shall do some of the others later.

As a matter of fact, I like this exercise, I will run this on my characters later as well!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:49 am 
GOD

Before I comment on your post, Travis, please forgive me for tampering with it, but I cannot remember the questions from one answer to the next despite the fact that I've done seven of these. In several of the answers you've incorporated the question, but in some I'm left going "bwuh?" I've gone in and put the questions in front of their respective answers, just so I can keep it straight. Perhaps the other board members might not have trouble with it, but I'm so easily confused, I'm kind of a dofus in that respect. Again, please forgive me, and you can always tell me to go climb a tree or take a long walk off a short pier if you want.

I'm delighted you like the exercise, and I thought you might wanna try it on your own characters. The whole thing was designed by Salmonella, and I just love it myself. I'm considering adding three more questions to actually make it 20... but I don't know what to ask. You got any ideas?

I look forward to seeing you write up the other characters, and some day, when you're willing to show it, I look forward to writing up what I can glean of yours!

Profile E-mail