Logo

The Circle of Hashibahbah

The MisCon Writer's Workshop Forums
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: A Real Editor!
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:57 am 
GOD

Well this MisCon was exciting in several ways, but for me I'd have to say the high point was in actually hiring a real, live, professional editor to look at To The Shore! My earlier proclamation that it was "finished" was ludicrous, of course. No book is ever finished, it's only abandoned. Besides, she's bound to find lotsa typos and grammar-os and stuff like that that I completely missed. And plotholes I'm completely unaware of. Stuff like that, you know.

She won't be able to get to my work for a few months, so that leaves me with some time to go over it again myself and see what I can catch. I know I want to remove one scene completely, and there are bound to be touch-ups I'll want to make. The more I brush it up now, the more I will get out of her services later.

I haven't actually read To The Shore myself in about two or three years, so it should be interesting to see what's in there that I forgot about. I need to concentrate on my blocking (a bit of advice I got at the Writer's Workshop), and I never really did put in a "flora & fauna" edit. I think there's some pretty good environment setting, but I must go in and make sure, reading with an eye towards it.

I welcome other peoples' opinions and input on TTS, if they are so inclined to give it. I will try to read other folks' stuff as well and give input, but I may be wrapped up in prepping my own baby for its first professional inspection. You may have to rather assertively bonk me over the head with a proverbial frying pan to get my attention.

Xander, don't speak Latin in front of the books. ~Rupert Giles~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A Real Editor!
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 pm 

Were you able to get input from the editor on this book? Just wondering how it went...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:34 pm 
GOD

Actually, Andrea and I had a good talk. She hasn't had the chance to get very far into the story yet (just three chapters), so it wasn't all it could be, but we got a little ways into it. What we both agreed on (me first, even) is that it is over-done, over-edited, covered in fluff, lace, and gee-gaws, as it were, and that it needs to be stripped down to its bare essentials to see whether the underlying story is balsa wood or oak. Once that's been determined, she'll be much better able to help me determine where to go with it. She just hasn't gotten that far, yet.

Interestingly, the original story began with the dungeon escape, and the prologue and chapter one were added later. Several times during MisCon people brought up the concept that their stories needed to start somewhere other than where they had started them, and I think I may need to pare my story back to its original beginning, too. Andrea agreed. I told her in no uncertain terms that I am very very open to changes. I know what I handed her is a mess. It's overdone. I tried too hard, and I'm too close to it, and I don't know what I'm doing. I tried to edit it myself, and shouldn't have. Now I need to "unlearn what I have learned" and do it over again. I know this, and am ready to start again.

This may well be why I haven't bothered to finish the current story where it sits now. I know, Theresa, that this is not what you want to hear, but it may be the truth.

Xander, don't speak Latin in front of the books. ~Rupert Giles~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:41 pm 

Where are you at in your story now after having had a chance to talk to Andrea and everything? And by the way, congratulations on Andrea agreeing to work on your story. Like I said at Miscon I showed Andrea one of my novels several years ago and she told me it was not ready for editing so it is a tremendous compliment she agreed to work with you on your story! :D

Profile E-mail