Logo

The Circle of Hashibahbah

The MisCon Writer's Workshop Forums
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Table Test
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:48 pm 
GOD

Just bear with me folks, this is something I think will make the editing process go a lot smoother... check out this trick!
This is a test
This is the old textThis is the new text
Okay what I want to do here is see what happens when I put new text in one table cell and old text in the other table cell so that the changes can be compared side by side.Okay what I want to do here is see what happens when I put new text in one table cell and old text in the other table cell so that the changes can be compared alongside each other.

Okay, tables works. Which is a major - and I mean MAJOR accomplishment in its own right. You have no idea how hard I looked for the How-To on BBCode tables. Now let me show you WHY I looked so hard for the information. Look what I can do with it:

Chapter One: The Picnic
OLDNEW
"Come on, Paige, let's go!""Come on, Paige, let's go!"
"Where we going?""Where?"
"I don't care, just out of here, now! Go find Brand, I'll round up Terrel and Alain. I’ve got to get out of here before I crack!""Somewhere else, anywhere but here! You go find Brand, I'll round up Terrel and Alain. I’ve got to get out of here before I crack!"
"Right, Morgan!" Paige closed her book and tossed it in her chair. Then she hitched her long, bell-sleeved gown up around her ankles and skipped out of the library in search of their moody cousin. Morgan watched her go and a smile crept onto his face. Everyone had been so down and sombre since Carrik had died. As his heir and only apprentice, Morgan was now the new Shield. The old man had lived beyond his time, and his death was not a surprise at all, but it had been hard on everyone. What they needed was a change of scenery, an escape from the endless formal ceremonies that had dominated the activities of the castle in weeks past."Right, Morgan!" Paige closed her book and tossed it in her chair. Then she hitched her long, bell-sleeved gown up around her ankles and skipped out of the library in search of their moody cousin. Morgan watched her go and a smile crept onto his face. Everyone had been so down and sombre since Carrik, the 46th Shield of the North had died. As his heir and only apprentice, Morgan was now the new Shield. The old man had lived beyond his time, and his death was not a surprise at all, but it had been hard on everyone. What they needed was a change of scenery, an escape from the endless formal ceremonies that had dominated the activities of the castle in weeks past.

Is that spiffy or what? I think this will be of great help figuring out where I've made changes - cuts as well as additions and alterations. I know that I'll have to do some graphics tweaking to make the colours show up better and so you don't get that line down the middle of the chapter name, etc... but the basic tables actually work, which took me for-ev-er to figure out. Actually, I didn't figure it out at all, I did a load of copy/paste on faith, and lo! a miracle! Now hopefully I can figure out Justify:full and some increased cellpadding. Borders would be nice too, especially if I don't get increased cellpadding, but I shall see what I can do. In the meantime, I can at least start using this to show you my changes.

I'm going to try and do this up with the prologue and see what happens; wish me luck! Also, a sample is one thing, but a whole block of text is another, so don't expect this to be up and running immediately. Gimmie some time!

EDIT: Well I got the justification full to work but the cellpadding is horrible. It almost makes one want to not have the jfull. Yipes. I shall keep working-editing-working-editing...

Xander, don't speak Latin in front of the books. ~Rupert Giles~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Table Test
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:33 pm 
GOD

[/tables]

Variations on the theme.... testing and more testing.

[tables=75,3,THIS IS YOUR TITLE,THIS IS YOUR FOOTER]
LEFT-SIDETOP LEFTTOP RIGHT
MIDDLE CENTER 1
MIDDLE LEFT 2MIDDLE RIGHT 2
BOTTOM LEFTBOTTOM CENTERBOTTOM RIGHT
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:32 pm 
Odin Extraordinaire

Spiffy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:40 pm 
GOD

I've done up Chapter One with the side-by-side tables... tell me whatcha think of 'em?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:19 pm 
Odin Extraordinaire

Once again, spiffy. This makes it much easier to do a side by side comparison, of course, that's kinda the point isn't it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:28 pm 
GOD

Indeed it is. Now all I gotta do is... do it. But right now I'm tired because I've been working on the Butte Fencing Club's official website. Graphics design is fun, but my hand is cramping and my eyes are going a bit wonky from staring at the monitor for hours.

http://www.buttefencingclub.org/

No, it's not fancy - nothing more than a Hello, world! page really, and there's no actual data on it yet - but it's a start. With some hopefully not hideous graphics. I quite like the bullet I made, but that's not up yet. I'm tired. Checking the boards then heading offline to goof off for awhile.

<Schwarzenegger voice>I'll be back!</voice>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 pm 
Somewhere On the Food Chain

He, he. I misread that. I clicked on it thinking what in the world is Butt Fencing?

Foiled again... er... skewered... uh... whatever. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:04 am 
GOD

Misreading can be fun! Good to see ya again, DanK!

Profile E-mail