Logo

The Circle of Hashibahbah

The MisCon Writer's Workshop Forums
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:18 am 
GOD

I was at a secondhand store the other day, and came across something called a "Journal Jar." It's a small plastic jar filled with slips of paper, with something written on each slip. The instructions taped to the jar read:

Quote:
Journal Jar - each day, remove one slip of paper from this jar. Answer the question by writing your answer on a single piece of paper or by entering it in your computer. At the end, sort your answers in chronological order and you will have the story of your life. You can then have your document printed and share your life history with others. Have Fun!!

Well I thought "this would be a great source of ideas for writing!" and promptly paid the $0.99 they wanted for it. Then I thought "and not just for me... lots of people could get some use out of this!" I shared the idea with a friend, and she said "well yeah, but I don't really like biographical stuff so much."

Which got me thinking. Who says this stuff has to be autobiographical? Make up a fictional character and answer the questions as them. Use one question as a seed for an entire novel! Sure, some of the questions are a bit dull, but that doesn't mean your answers have to be! Make something up using these ideas as a diving board into the unknown! Why, the possibilities are limitless!

So I made this sub-forum to share the ideas. I'll post a thread for each separate slip of paper, and people can write whatever they want from that seed idea in that thread. I'll post a few to start with, then if people like it, I can post more of them... there's a lot of seeds here in this little jar!

Xander, don't speak Latin in front of the books. ~Rupert Giles~

Profile E-mail