Logo

The Circle of Hashibahbah

The MisCon Writer's Workshop Forums
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Workshop Improvements
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:45 pm 
GOD

Does anybody remember what all the improvements were that we talked about asking for at the workshop wrap-up on Sunday this year? What I remember:

1) A chance to get together with the critiquing authors and ask them questions since we're not supposed to "defend our work" during the actual critique.

2) A couple of small rooms instead of one big one so we can all hear.

3) ????? I know there was something else, but I cannot remember.

Xander, don't speak Latin in front of the books. ~Rupert Giles~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Workshop Improvements
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:16 pm 

We all agreed that it would be nice to have the submissions of the other group members (not the whole workshop, just the members of the group) before the workshop. This is understood and should be done without more carping, but I thought I'd put it in for completeness.

We would also like the scheduling to be freed up. That is to say, there should not be other writer convention panels during the workshop (and preferably during the meet and greet and wrap up as well). The wrap up was not well attended due to other important panels being offered in the same time frame.

We would like to have some way to thank the pros and authors that helped us with our submissions and would also like to have some way to rate the pros and authors (so those very few that are not helpful, might not be asked to help from year to year).

If at all possible, it would be nice to have some way to indicate the professional level of the person submitting so that those who are very new to the process may be handled in a more gentle fashion (most authors and pros were good at this, but there was a notable exception).

It would be nice if during the meet and greet there was a brief statement before splitting into the groups to get to know your group. The statement would explain that the criticism is only on the work itself and not on the story or the story teller and that this process is only to help a story teller tell a story better.

There likely was more, but that's what I recall from the wrap up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Workshop Improvements
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:33 pm 
GOD

Indeed. My first post here was from LAST year.... this board didn't catch on last year, but it was just word-of-mouth. I'm hoping this year to get MisCon themselves behind it, and it might pick up. So yes, the things you mentioned are indeed the things we discussed at the wrap-up THIS year, and thank you for the recap. It's good to get this conversation re-started! It's possible they may be looking at the forum tonight...

Xander, don't speak Latin in front of the books. ~Rupert Giles~

Profile E-mail