Logo

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Free OTR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:41 am 

MightyAtom wrote:
I think that most Old Time Radio is in public domain right now, so there should be a tonne of good sights with free downloads and such.

Let's share!

http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/

Thanks for that! Just finished listening to most of Beyond Midnight from your link, and I thought they were terrific! (Apart from the particularly annoying sponsors' messages!)

I especially enjoyed The Signalman. (Creepy!)

Dimension X and all the rest are fun too for what they are, but I think they suffer from being a bit more dated than the Beyond Midnight stories. I guess sci-fi dates more easily than ghost stories, which are somewhat timeless.

Here's a different site I recommend if you like OTR...

Decoder Ring Theatre has new shows producted in the style of OTR serials - all for free!

I absolutely love their hard-boiled detective series Black Jack Justice. I must have listened to them all about a million times by now! It's all played completely straight, not tongue-in-cheek, as though you were listening to a real old time radio drama. The production values and acting aren't quite as good as ZBS, but the stories and dialog are really very sharp and snappy.

I couldn't get into their "Red Panda" (superhero) adventures, but they're very popular and you might enjoy them as well.

Does anyone else here listen to the Decoder Ring Theatre productions?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:01 am 

MightyAtom wrote:
I was listening to some stuff off of themonsterclub.com, and was bummed to find that some of it is password protected. I'm not sure why...some you can listen to with no problem, and some you have to sign in for!

He has the password on the main page (Boo13). Here's the text "There is nothing to sign up for, password is strictly to keep our site FREE OF CHARGE by controling bandwidth. We gather NO information from you, which means we send you NO junk mail and do NOT share your info. Please use password Boo13 to listen or download. Enjoy!" :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 am 
King of the Wild Frontier

Oh, that's cool Room237. I didn't check out the main page...I will head back in for some more!

Quote:
I especially enjoyed The Signalman. (Creepy!)

Is that the Charles Dickens' ghost story? If so, I really love that. Classic ghost story. I will have to go give it a listen now!

...later...

Ohhh...it is the Charles Dickens' story! They did a great job! But they made one of the characters Charles Dickens, which is a bit odd...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:22 pm 

room237 wrote:
http://radioarchive.cc/index.php is good for fans of BBC programming.

Oh a brilliant link... Managed to snaffle the COMPLETE series of X Minus One from the Internet Archive, lovingly restored and annotated by their OTR Research Project group. The stories are the best quality I've heard them in, and of course, the only place where I've been able to find the entire collection all together.

There goes another 70-odd hours of my life! :m2:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:26 am 

That one is a torrent download site right? :( :( :(

I can only do streaming stuff...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:07 am 

MightyAtom wrote:
That one is a torrent download site right? :( :( :(

I can only do streaming stuff...

It's available as a torrent as well, but you'll be glad to hear that if you go to this link and scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can download them straight from your web browser as 3 zip files, or click the links provided below for your convenience...

X Minus One Complete (disk 1) 616MB
X Minus One Complete (disk 2) 623MB
X Minus One Complete (disk 3) 359MB
(Rick-click and choose "save as..." if you want to put them in a specific directory on your computer... you probably knew that, but you never know!)

I must say (contrary to my previous remark about them dating terribly) that having now heard a larger sampling of the series (and in much better quality than the 12 or so episodes that have been doing the rounds) it's remarkably enjoyable decades later. I suppose it helps that I'm a fan of "Golden Age" sci-fi stories, and it's really fortunate that the series was able to draw on such heavyweight authors as Asimov, Bradbury, Pohl, etc.

A lot of the stories are... well, "quaint" (for want of a better word) in their STUNNINGLY PARANOID dwellings on two themes in particular: Invasion, especially Martians (Martians = Commies? The RED Planet?! Coincidence or not!? haha), and the Atom Bomb (Post-apocalyptic horror stories abound, and irradiated mutants are of particular concern, it seems). Not that I'm making light of these fears, but I was able to appreciate these stories not only for what they are as radio-dramas, but also for what they conveyed about the "zeitgeist" of the 50's. Really fascinating.

Two of my favourites so far...

- The Cold Equations (Didn't see that coming!)
- The Lifeboat Mutiny (A light-hearted story well told. I particularly enjoyed the Drome national anthem! Genius! haha)

While I'm here chatting, I might as well recommend the other OTR series I think stands out from the rest. Around half a decade older than X Minus One, is the infinitely more sinister Quiet, Please.

The entire series is also available to download via your browser (an episode at a time, this time) from: Internet Archives - Quiet, Please

These stories are frequently creepy (less sci-fi than X Minus One, more horror), and more often then not, just plain weird... some what I'd have thought are really quite ahead of their time!

Although the sound quality of the files on that link is not so great, I really recommend the following two episodes to give you a taste of that series.

Quiet, Please - The Northern Lights :smt104:
Quiet, Please - The Thing on the Fourble Board :shocked:

(Again, you probably knew all this too, but you never know!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:41 pm 

TummyJellyJon wrote:

- The Lifeboat Mutiny (A light-hearted story well told. I particularly enjoyed the Drome national anthem! Genius! haha)

The Trap, Tunnel Under The World, A Gun For Dinosaur, A Pail Of Air...actually, I enjoy almost all of them. Good stuff!

I like Quiet Please as well. I also recommend Dark Fantasy if you aren't familiar with that series.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:14 am 

room237 wrote:
TummyJellyJon wrote:

The Trap, Tunnel Under The World, A Gun For Dinosaur, A Pail Of Air...actually, I enjoy almost all of them. Good stuff!

I like Quiet Please as well. I also recommend Dark Fantasy if you aren't familiar with that series.

Tunnel Under the World was good - part Groundhog Day, part Truman Show, part something else! Really too much for a little 25 minute story. Haven't heard The Trap yet, but it sounds enticing.

I didn't know about Dark Fantasy, but I'm off to check it out right now... Thanks for the recommend! :m2:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:57 pm 

TummyJellyJon wrote:
them straight from your web browser as 3 zip files

Alas, can't do that either. My work computer (where I listen to OTR) has a pretty strict firewall. No downloading allowed.

Quote:
Thanks for that! Just finished listening to most of Beyond Midnight from your link, and I thought they were terrific! (Apart from the particularly annoying sponsors' messages!)

I have been listening to Beyond Midnight, and I agree that they are very good. Nice atmospheric ghost stories.

But those adds! "Just soak. Just soak in Biotec. Just soak. Just soak in Biotec." They are as annoying as "Head on. Apply directly to your forehead. Head on. Apply directly to your forehead."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:37 pm 

MightyAtom wrote:
"Just soak. Just soak in Biotec. Just soak. Just soak in Biotec." They are as annoying as "Head on. Apply directly to your forehead. Head on. Apply directly to your forehead."

Grandpa's Headache Powder! Aieee!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:22 pm 

Just love any type of radio drama! Especially Sci-Fi and Horror.

A lot of good suggestions here. Quiet, Please (mentioned above) is one of my favorites. This is minimalist radio drama. Most of the shows are just Ernest Chappell talking to you... telling you a story... with maybe a couple of other actors plus music and sound effects. I'd call this series 'Dark Fantasy' rather than horror. Some are scary, but most are just... odd.

http://www.quietplease.org/index.php?section=intro

I would place Mindwebs at the top of the list, also. This was a semi-dramatized series out of Madison in the late 70s/early 80s. Most feature Michael Hanson reading by himself, but those readings were often enhanced by music, periodic sound cues, and the occasional character voice. Quite a few Nebula and Hugo-winning stories, there. The series were quite good, but the sound quality varied.

http://www.archive.org/details/Mindwebs_230

For pure horror, I'd recommend Fear on 4, by the BBC. I've only listened to the first 12 episodes, but 2 of those episodes are among the best stories I've ever listened to. "A Day at the Dentist's" (scary) and "Every Detail but One" (scary/sad).

For any of the above series (and many others) you can find plot summaries, reviews and recommendations on my website.

http://www.otrplotspot.com.

Sorry, I don't sell or trade any episodes. But I do offer two episodes every two weeks in the Listening Booth. (I'll be posting "A Day at the Dentist's" next week.)

http://www.otrplotspot.com/listeningBooth.html

These are downloads, only, sorry (My hosting plan doesn't support streaming audio - much more expensive).

Oh, and one more series, if you're tired of Sci-Fi and Horror: Challenge of the Yukon.

Ever heard of a "Western"? Of course you have. Did you know there are "Northerns", too? Well, a Northern is similar to the "Western" except that the action takes place in the Canadian north and uses Mounties instead of Cowboys or Sheriffs. Northerns are based on the concept that "The Mountie always get his man." There is often an extended chase which ends with the Mountie getting his man... usually because of the Mountie's courage and tenacity. The landscape or the countryside itself can often be the main obstacle facing the hero. This show began as an independent production of radio station WXYZ (which had also produced The Lone Ranger and The Green Hornet), because the station owner wanted an adventure story that featured a dog as the hero, but not a dog like Lassie. He wanted a real dog... a working dog. The program began as a 15-minute serial. When the show acquired a sponsor, Quaker Oats, it moved to the head of the alphabet... from WXYZ to ABC, and jumped to one-half hour shows.

http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_Cer ... _the_Yukon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:36 pm 

Wow! That is chock full of good info! Thanks for posting that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:45 pm 

A month ago I came across an incredibly well-produced series called The Black Mass.

[It looks like MightyAtom posted a link some time ago, but I didn't see it.]

Here's what I wrote on my website:

The Black Mass featured tales about the macabre, the bizarre, the supernatural, and the generally discomforting from outstanding, established authors—many of whom were not generally known for writing in that genre. The series was the result of a successful collaboration between Erik Bauersfeld (producer, director, adaptor, actor) and John Whiting (Production Director), both at KPFA, Berkeley. The series ran irregularly from 1963 to 1970 and dramatized at least 43 stories. Remarkably high production quality, chilling tales, and excellent pacing, all combine to make this one of the best series around. There is not much action here: no chase scenes, no explosions, few screams. This is a cerebral series where mood is created through language, pacing, dialogue, and subtle music.

Keep in mind, this series dramatizes a wide range of writing styles; there is something here for everybody, which is really just another way of saying that everybody will be able to find something to love... and something to hate. Don't feel bad about skipping a story in the middle and moving on to the next one!

In a (possible) nod to The Witch's Tale, the first episode in the series opens at a witch's black mass... an organ plays in the background... and you, the listener, are invited into the inner circle—the circle of empathy—so that the number might equal thirteen. The candles are lit... the shadows flicker across the wall... the mood is set.

In 1985, 16 of these stories were exhumed from a dank and dusty grave, given a new intro and effects by James McKee and Ken Heller, and then rebroadcast as Tales from the Shadows on KCRW, Santa Monica.

Erik Bauersfeld's site - episodes in .mov format:
http://www.bardradio.com/black_mass_series.html

John Whiting's site - episodes in .mp3 format:
http://www.kpfahistory.info/black_mass_index.html

Plots and reviews for individual episodes at my site:
http://www.otrplotspot.com/blackMass.html

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:09 pm 

The BlackMass is great! That was a real treasure when I found that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 pm 

Those are something special, thanks for the post.